Skip to main content

Annals: Bound Volume, 1790-1970

 File — Box: 2, Folder: 1
Identifier: GAMMS.3.16.747

Scope and Contents

In handwriting of Sister Delphina, this book of annals begins with a history of the foundation copied from the profession book and other sources. It names Charles Neale as the one who introduced the foundation ."wishing to establish a house of prayer for the happy success of the American missions and the increase and prosperity of Catholic faith in this new world;" refers to it as the "first convent ever erected in the United States of North America." 10/15/1790, dedication of chapel to Sacred Hearts of Jesus, Mary, Joseph; 1800= 10 professed; 3 novices and Clare Joseph appointed to replace Mother Bernardina; but was first elected in 1809. (Neale served 43 years as confessor 10 in Europe; 33 in Port Tobacco, with Sister Clare Joseph his spiritual "child" longer than any other. Benedick Fenwick; 2 years only; Enoch Fenwick until 1827--his death); 1827: settlement of law suit in favor of Sisters. Reasons for move to Aisquith: impositions of overseers; bad management; expenses of "old servants" and fees of lawsuit. 1834, John Gildea, chaplain; death 1845; 1851, "Father Newman" as confessor; new transcriber of annals; 1852:"consolation to close our school; 6/16/1853: Archbishop Bedini's visit; 4/10/1853: Kenrick's permission to "dismiss any nun whose presence might be the cause of riot granted; 1854 "We began to burn gas; gift of Oliver O'Donnel; " 12/12/1855: reception of box from Antwerp: ceremonials; customs in French; 1857, 2nd box from Antwerp: tuck, veil, image of Christ Jesus, oil painting; 1858-Kenrick's visitation, recommending charity and peace; 1858, M. Teresa recommended by confessor to resign; removal of Fr. Holtzer; appt of Petsch, CssR; 1862, adoption of last edition of new rules, unanimously; 9/29/1863; St.Louis foundation; 8/15/1869, 40 hours devotion celebrated first time in our chapel; annual; 3/9/72; purchased lot for new convent; 1873, dead removed from Aisquith to new cathedral cemetry vault; 3/26/1873:new monastery; 7/16/1874:first pontifical mass: Bishop WM Gross; 1875, Canada foundation, return 8/3/1877; Gibbons 11/29/1877; presides as Cardinal first time, 10/15/1886; 1889 Ostensorium with Louis Philippe diamond; 1890, appeal of Rev. John Slattery (Josephites) --Carmelites' mission to Africa & Blacks; "true to his colors" to use his expression, he " put before us our Holy Mother's zeal for the Blacks. He based his discourse on the words of the Breviary...He claimed the Carmelites to be the Apostles of Negroes, and that ...our going to Boston was because it was seat of abolition" so new community would be the cause of the abolition of sin among blacks. 1894, speak-room grates closed to all except immediate family,etc. 1897, new altar; 1903, death of Didier; 1905, D.Falconio, Mass; 1906 Beatification of Compiegne; 1907, foundation of Brooklyn; 1908, Seattle; 1914, Wheeling foundation 1913, Seraphim elected; purchase of Biddle Street house; 1915, pavement cemented; 1916, chalice donated by student; 1918, postal from new airplane service; 1918, last triduum of Charles Currier; 10/15/1918, no triduum, FLU; 1919, Elliott preached "very eloquently" 1920, New York foundation 3/24/1920 Gibbons death; 1926--canonization of Therese; 1940, Our Lady of Perpetual Help; in Bronze Frame, jewels; 1942, cemetery plots; 1944, amendment to act of incorporation; 1947, death of Bp. Curley; enthronement of Sacred Heart; 1948, Shehan appointed Ecclesiastical Superior; return 1961; 1947-1951, Philippines foundation 1962, cornerstone new building; 1963, Walter Ciszek SJ visit; Golden Wedding Anniv of Beatrice and Bro.Oswald; 1966, Vagnozzi visit;

Dates

  • 1674-1990
  • Majority of material found in 1800-1990

Extent

From the Record Group: 9.5 linear feet

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of the Carmelite Monastery of Baltimore Repository

Contact:
1318 Dulaney Valley Road
Baltimore MD 21286 USA
410-308-1109