MARY ELEANORA MATTHEWS
Found in 18 Collections and/or Records:
Article: 186 years of Carmelite history: Sisters organizing books, artifacts from The Catholic Review, 10/22/1976, on the rare books and archives of the Baltimore Carmel.
A copy of an article in United States Catholic Historical Magazine, May, Vol 3, Page 65, entitled "History of the Establishment of the Carmelites in Maryland", sent by Bishop Corrigan. The copy includes a note from Bishop Fenwick regarding the article.
Article: The Bishop's Invitation by Barbara McBriarty about the founding of Carmel in America. The article is in The Banner, Vol. 21, No. 7, dated March, 1954, published by the Congregation of the Resurrection, Chicago, IL.
An article from the United States Catholic Magazine entitled "The Carmelites in America", published in Vol. 8, No. 2, and in Vol.8, No. 3.
Article in The Catholic Review, dated Sept 8, 1961, entitled The Carmelites: Port Tobacco to Dulaney Valley. Includes pictures of the old monastery (Port Tobacco) and the new monastery (Dulaney Valley).
Laurence Kelly Research: An autographed booklet entitled: A Carmelite Shrine in Maryland, written by Laurence J. Kelly, SJ, in 1950; subtitled: The Carmelites Come To America.
Laurence Kelly Research: A Carmelite Shrine in America by Rev. Laurence J. Kelly, SJ, published in 1957. This booklet includes a history of the restoration and dedication of the monastery buildings at Port Tobacco. An insert, Mount Carmel In America, Thirtieth Year of Restoration, is included which notes Laurence Kelly's death on Oct 15, 1955.
Laurence Kelly Research: A Southern Maryland Shrine, a booklet published in 1940, the year the Carmelite Nuns celebrated "the sesquicentennial of the introduction of their Order into this country."
Notes: Brief Account of Carmel in America, extracts from Carmel in America by C. W. Currier compiled by Mother Seraphim.
Brief Notes about Mount Carmel in Maryland by Mother Seraphim which includes: Dates from Carmel in America by Charles Warren Currier, Discalced Carmelite Nuns in the United States (list of the foundations), Answers to questions concerning the first Carmel in Maryland, a letter to Father Kelly from Mother Seraphim, a Memorandum on Charles Neale, the convent on Aisquith St., and the Carmels in England.
Notes on the history of Carmel written by Sister Mary Joseph Daly including: notes on the foundresses, development of Carmel in America, Carmel in England, death notices from England and America, information on The Pious Guide, and extracts from correspondence. Handwritten manuscript on scrap papers.
Notes: The Foundation of the Baltimore Carmel, typescript, ca 1935, containing mention of The Pious Guide, Bishop Gross' sermon in 1874, statistics on U. S. foundations, religious and secular names of the four foundresses and those who entered Carmel at Port Tobacco, Discalced Carmelite Nuns in the United States (lists the foundations), and a necrology 1904-1927. No author, but authorized by Mother Seraphim.
Madame Louise: the daughter of Louis XV, how a royal princess became a Carmelite Nun; Prayer and Penance: Sister Teresa of St. Augustine lives a peaceful life and dies a happy death, cont.; The Carmelites: a historical sketch of their foundation in the diocese of Baltimore.
The Carmelites: A historical sketch of their foundation in the Diocese of Baltimore, cont.
Why I became a Catholic: lecture at Chestertown, MD, by Rev. Father Curtis, cont.; Divine love; The names of Our Lady; The place of the Crucifixion; St. Teresa: a very interesting article on her daughters in America; Monthly triduum in New Orleans, in honor of St. Teresa.
Sermon: On the Occasion of the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the Coming of Carmel to Maryland. Delivered at the Shrine of the first Carmel, Charles County, Maryland, Sunday, October 20, 1940; no author, typed manuscript, 18 pages. Includes a list of the religious and secular names of the four foundresses and those who entered Carmel at Port Tobacco and a list of foundations in the United States.
History Outline of Carmel, Baltimore, Maryland, 1790-1950. Typescript, 2 pages.